Experienced Counsel
Tailored Solutions

The Child Support Guidance You Need

Parents share the responsibility to not only care for their children, but also to provide financially for them. In order to ensure that both parents are contributing to the needs of a child when parents are divorced or unmarried, the court awards child support as necessary.

At Jackman & Kasody PLLC, a Michigan divorce and family law firm, we walk clients through the Michigan Child Support Formula, which is required by the courts, helping them understand the formula used to calculate child support and the factors that influence it.

Located in Bingham Farms, we also represent clients throughout Bloomfield Hills, Birmingham, Novi and the surrounding areas.

Calculating Child Support

The Michigan Child Support Formula is generally followed but there may be circumstances that call for a deviation that can occur on a case-by-case basis. Situations in which deviation is sometimes necessary include instances where:

  • A child has special needs
  • A child has extraordinary educational expenses
  • A parent has a considerably higher income than the guidelines account for
  • A parent has irregular income

At Jackman & Kasody PLLC, our lawyers work closely with clients, advising them on their rights in relation to child support awards and fighting to ensure that awards are reasonable and just.

Modifying Child Support

In addition to providing support as our clients work toward a fair child support award, the attorneys at Jackman & Kasody PLLC also offer continued representation. We advocate on behalf of clients when their financial situation has changed and they need to petition the court for modifications to child support orders.

Parents can request child support modifications if they can demonstrate their personal or financial circumstances have changed. Often, these changes relate to a rise or reduction in income, but they can also relate to health issues, medical expenses or changes in one parent’s household structure. To request a child support modification, parents must go through the court where their order was first entered.

Contact Experienced Child Support Attorneys

To schedule a free initial consultation with a team of experienced divorce and family law attorneys, contact Jackman & Kasody PLLC at 248-220-6963.