Experienced Counsel
Tailored Solutions

Solving Child Custody And Parenting Time Issues

When legal issues involve children, their best interests have to be the primary focus of any decisions made. In order to ensure that happens, it is important for a parent to have a skilled divorce and family law attorney who knows the law, to articulate their position.

At Jackman & Kasody PLLC, a Michigan divorce and family law firm, we represent both mothers and fathers in cases involving child custody, parenting time, and post-judgment modifications. Located in Bingham Farms, we also serve clients in Bloomfield Hills, Birmingham, Novi and the surrounding area.

We bring more than 60 years of combined legal experience to each and every case we handle, giving us the knowledge, skill and resources necessary to protect clients’ rights while helping them find resolutions that fit their families’ needs.

Custody And Co-Parenting

In order to clearly outline the rights and responsibilities that parents have in regard to their children, the court makes decisions on a variety of related issues, including:

  • Legal custody: The right to have input into major decisions affecting a child’s life
  • Physical custody: The responsibility for day-to-day care of a child
  • Parenting time: A schedule of time a child will spend with each parent

Modifying Child Custody

Following a divorce or final custody and parenting time determination, families grow and evolve. When unexpected events (positive or negative) arise after the entry of the last custody order, custody and parenting time orders can become outdated and ineffective.

When there has been a substantial change in circumstances, our lawyers help clients petition for post-judgment modifications of orders. In Michigan, parents can modify a custody order for two reasons: proper cause or a change in circumstances. These circumstances can include, but are not limited to:

  • A child’s schedule changes due to school and extracurricular events, making parenting time schedules unworkable.
  • A parent’s ability to care for children has changed.
  • One parent wants to relocate with the children more than 100 miles away from their original home.
  • A parent moves to a location less than 100 miles from the original home but the same makes the current schedule more difficult with school or activities.

Parenting Time Questions? Contact Our Office Today

To schedule a free initial consultation with a team of experienced divorce and family law attorneys, contact Jackman & Kasody PLLC at 248-220-6963.