Experienced Counsel
Tailored Solutions

Can you get a change in your alimony amount?

On Behalf of | Apr 8, 2020 | Alimony

Spousal support can be a contentious topic in a divorce, so most couples are glad to be done with the issue once their divorces are final.

But what happens if you experience a sudden change in your circumstances? Can you revisit the issue of alimony and ask the court to lower your payment? If you’re receiving alimony, is there any way to get an increase?

Ultimately, yes, you can ask the court for a change in alimony — if your circumstances have changed significantly since you were divorced. Whether you’re paying spousal support or you receive it, here are some events that could be a valid reason to reassess an alimony amount:

  1. Someone has a significant job change. The paying spouse may have been forced to take a job that pays less due to changes in the local economy, for example. Alternately, the receiving spouse may have launched a successful business or gotten a degree that allows them to obtain a better position.
  2. One spouse retires or becomes disabled. This can have a negative effect on their ability to pay — or a reason to ask for more support if the paying spouse is still working.
  3. One party remarries. That would most likely affect the spouse receiving benefits since spousal support typically ends when the recipient of that support remarries.
  4. One party hid something important about their finances. If one party has substantially more income or assets than the court knew about when it made its award, that could change how the court sees the issue of support.

Alimony issues are best explored with an experienced advocate. Knowing your legal options can help you obtain a better modification.